She's Overseas

Adventures and anecdotes from the United Kingdom.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Dover, pt. II

After a pub dinner, we all headed out to a pub where we had earlier spotted a sign advertising karaoke that night. Never before have I witnessed such madness. The Brits take their karaoke VERY seriously. Here's a shot of most of the group. We were definitely the obnoxious Americans in the corner. But they loved us.

This guys thought he was Elvis. Really.

That night in the hostel, I barely slept, but it didn't matter. Seven of us, all girls, were sleeping in the same room on rickety bunk beds. I was having flashbacks to sleep away camp in 5th grade, and this was much more fun. The next morning, groggy from lack of sleep, we trekked up a huge mountain to get to Dover castle. Remember the one on the hill? Well, we missed the bus up said hill and had to walk. It was pretty much a vertical climb the entire time. This is just one view from the top, of the English Channel. It was absolutely spectacular.

We took a tour of the castle which housed a war hospital beneath it in the sides of the Dover cliffs. It was really unbelievable. There are some things that even after seeing them, they remain unfathomable. Afterwards we continued to walk upward (I was fading fast at this point) to see some more of the castle and it's great views. This is me on top of the castle:

I'm making that funny face because I really thought I was going to fall over. The wind is surprisingly strong at that altitude.


Dover Castle.
Heather Sagaities, Caroline, and me, blowing in the wind.

This was a funny sign we saw nailed to the wall overlooking a steep cliff. Too good. The Brits really don't leave much to the imagination. Even the exit signs (called "Way Out") show a man running through a door.

There is so much more to show and tell! Unfortunately (ha) I'm leaving for Italy in 30 minutes and must get ready! I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to share when I return in a week, if my camera batteries don't fail me too soon. I also have yet to post pictures of Kelly and Heather's Adventures in London! So stay tuned.

Take care, everyone. I love and miss you all.

Heather

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw similar cliff signs in Ireland, except ours - more thoughtfully, had a circle with a dash over top of the man following off the cliff - DON'T fall off the cliff. Thank you, sign.

When my father first saw the man running to the door exit signs, he initially thought they may be bathroom signs...

Cousin Kate

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home