She's Overseas

Adventures and anecdotes from the United Kingdom.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dover, pt. I

It's been so long since I updated; I apologize for the delay. This entry is in honor of my Dad, because, beside the fact that he's so wonderful, I'm sure people at work are getting sick of seeing the same pictures over and over again.

Last Thursday we took a field trip to Dover. Here are a few of the highlights:

Dover Castle sits atop a huge hill that looks out over Dover. The view of the castle from the center of town is breathtaking.

I made friends in the museum. We're like two peas in a pod.

We had nothing planned after our museum visit, and our attempt at taking a boat tour failed miserably (we would finally get that boat tour the next day), so we walked to one of the rocky beaches that overlooked the English Channel. If it had been a clear day, we might have seen France. I collected a few rocks as souvenirs.



This is Janet! She was the incredibly sweet manager of a cafe called Cooks. This is a funny story, and it goes to show just how friendly the Brits can be. A bunch of us decided to get some coffee after we left the beach, which turned out to be more difficult than expected--apparently no cafes outside of London carry soy milk, and Janet told me so when I asked after we'd tried several different shops. So, I gave up my search for a lactose-free latte and told the rest of the group that they could enjoy their drinks without me, no problem. I'd survive. Well, Janet felt sorry for me, so she suggested I go to the market across the street and by myself some soy milk so she could make me a delicious frappe. The frappe sounded tempting, but I couldn't afford to spend money on a carton of soy that would mostly go to waste, so I thanked her for the idea but said I'd be just fine with my water. But Janet wouldn't have this. Now she felt REALLY sorry for me. So, up she went, out the door to buy me soy milk with her own money so that I could enjoy her famous sticky toffee frappe. She came back a few minutes later with a cold carton of soy milk, just for me, and made me one of the most delicious iced coffees I have ever had. It was made with such love. I forced Janet to take a picture with me after that. I never wanted to forget the kindness she showed me that day. The next morning Anna and I walked back to the cafe just as it was opening and got two large drinks to use up the rest of that soy milk. I am eternally grateful to Janet in Dover.

**Continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home