She's Overseas

Adventures and anecdotes from the United Kingdom.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Ten days!

Just ten days left until I'm back in the States! I have envisioned my return over and over and over again in my mind--stepping off the plane, hurrying off to baggage, and finally, after all this time, finding Danny in the crowd and (naturally) running into his arms. I'll have never felt this sort of happiness before, this sort of giddy relief to be back on American soil, within reach of the people I love the most in this world. The fact that I'll be in Newark, New Jersey won't matter. I think there are Wawas in Newark. That is all that matters.

After the glorious reunion in the airport (I cannot wait, I cannot wait), Danny and I will get into his car (his American car!) and I'll resume my rightful place in the passenger seat. We'll listen to music together for the first time in months, and we'll make our way to my Dad's house in Prospect Park where my whole family will be waiting to greet me with huge smiles and big hugs. We'll eat bowls of my dad's delicious chili and talk about life since I was away; we'll talk about nothing and everything and I'll just be happier than ever to be in their presence.

I miss everything. And I don't just miss it now, anymore, it's more complex than that. I feel like life at home is going to be different, better because I've had a chance to step back and learn to appreciate how lucky I am. I never knew just how proud of me my family is until now. And I think they're more proud than ever before. I mean, I travelled to the Netherlands alone, I managed a theft in Italy, I've spent days and nights 3,000 miles away from home, and I've been okay. I've been more than okay. I've thrived! I've learned! I've evolved! I'm enthralled by the world and all it has to offer (can you see the idealistic sparkle in my eye?). I've grown into more of myself. I hope I never stop growing.

I hope this doesn't sound egotistical. I don't think I'm great because I've traveled to a small handful of countries or managed to 'survive' in a new place without my closest friends and family. I realize that people do these things every day, that's part of life. I am just so thankful to have had this opportunity, and I want to make it clear how much I appreciate everything I've been so blessed to experience. The past three and a half months have been about much more than just a semester abroad. This is probably sounding very cliche, but we were talking about cliches in my English class today, and really, life inevitably spirals into one big cliche no matter how you slice it. Well, this is MY cliche; I've claimed it, I live it. I love it and I hate it, and sometimes I love it because I hate it.

But I want to be home for Christmas. Last night Professor Hartzell had us to her house for dinner, and after dessert Devon serenaded a group of us in the kitchen with a breathtaking rendition of 'I'll Be Home For Christmas.' Hartzell cried, and everyone else was stunned to silence. Never before has that song rung so true. Later that night, Hartzell's husband Dave drove the last six of us home in his micro-mini car wearing a cowboy santa hat complete with flashing lights. He had to drive hunched over like an old man because the windows were foggy. The effect was priceless. In the backseat, I sprawled across the laps of three unlucky girls, my head scrunched down, my back pressing against the window. We took so many pictures and laughed so hard. These are the silly times I'll never forget.

I miss Gettysburg, believe it or not. I don't really enjoy the academic system here, and I'm officially very thankful to be going to a small liberal arts school. The preppy rich kids, the lack of diversity, the general close-mindedness are absolutely still drawbacks, but in terms of getting a great education, Gettysburg far surpasses Lancaster. I won't go into it now, but the structure of academics here is mind boggling and frustrating. No matter, though, because I didn't come here for the classes. I came for England and Italy and the Netherlands and the German Markets--I could go on and on.

I have to go get my laundry now.

Ten days. Just TEN DAYS!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you, smo. and i love this entry. i can't wait to be home with you!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

bud, my nissan is japanese.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

hahaha... actually, bud, i was referring to the placement of the steering wheel. but thanks. really.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was such a heartwarming and beautiful entry Heather. And I can't wait to sing "You ARE home for Christmas and finally in our arms, You're finally home for Christmas and this is not a dream!"

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that entry made more sense to me than anything i've read since i've been in England. Seriously, that was beautiful.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home